So we have less than 24 hours until we are officially in 2018 and I’m excited to see how the new year pans out. 1st things 1st I want to thank you my readers and subscribers for supporting me and Fro Plus Fashion. I really enjoy sharing content that I think is valuable and you can implement in your everyday lives or be inspired by. Over this year I’ve definitely taken some leaps, got some new opportunities, and I’m focused in on the direction that I want to go in for 2018. I want to share with you guy some of my favorite outfits, things, and moments from 2017.
1. Kinky Tresses products have consistently been my go to products for my natural hair for the entire year. My favorites from the entire line would have to be the Kinky Tresses Coconut Mango Hair Butter and Kinky Tresses Restorative Conditioner, but the entire line is dope.
2. Once I relocated to Tallahassee in 2016 I decided that 2017 would be the year that I started to venture out and attend a few blogger events. I was able to attend two BlogHer Orlando ’17 and The Curvy Fashionista Style Expo. It was definitely uplifting to be around bloggers of so many different and similar niches. I got to catch all the gems dropped from the likes of Gabi , Serena Williams, and fellow plus size style bloggers at the TCF Style Expo.
3. After attending these blogger events, I finally decided to change my blog name and social media handles from Luvmika87 to Fro Plus Fashion. Seriously, I went from AOL/MSN Chat Username to a name I think really represents the content I want to create for you guys. Not to mention you get some notion on what the hell my blog is about. I don’t know why I waited so long, but I’m glad I did it.
4. My summer trip back home to St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands was short, but definitely one I needed. I got to catch up with some friends, spend some time with my mom, and get my favorite local eats. I got lots of encouragement in the time I spent with fellow St. Thomian and content creator Sherea DelSol. The photos she took of me during my stay were some of your favorites on Instagram.
5. Speaking of summer this yellow top was my favorite of the summer and y’all showed love every time I wore it. Should I leave this color in 2017? I think nah.
6. I shared with you all some of the digs from a “new to me” plus size clothing brand called YoursClothing. My 1st clothing collab opp of the year since I rebranded to Fro Plus Fashion.
7. I spent an entire year in the U.S. without going to a Target and now I’ve discovered the Who What Wear collection, Ava + Viv, and A New Day. I can’t wait to see what they have coming in 2018 and I will be here to report it.
8. Google “FroPlusFashion Target” and your girl will be there. So I went from sleepin’ on the wonderfulness that is Target to being featured on Target. Look at God.
9. Thrifting is still very much a part of my personal style life and I really want to make more content for anyone looking to get into it for the new year. With more and more people wanting to saving coins and becoming socially/environmentally aware, I feel like thrifting is finally getting the play it deserves.
10. I gladly ate my own words about never coloring my natural hair. I low key don’t know what all the fuss was about. It’s hair. I’m still loving my little whispy gold ends.
11. I was on live tv! Literally after writing down getting uncomfortable in order to grow Fro Plus Fashion as one of my 2018 goals, I got an invitation to be on live local tv. Everything in me wanted to decline the offer, but my inner boss said “Bih you better. Ain’t this what you need to be doing to grow? Get yo bloggin life!”. So I did and I’m glad I did.
I must admit that before I wrote this article I was feeling a bit unaccomplished. This is definitely the time of year that people reflect and share their wins on social media, so please try not to fall into the slippery slope of self comparison. Really take a look back at all the good that happened this year goals achieved, new experiences, new hair journeys, and of course favorite outfits.
Happy New Year!